Friday, September 30, 2016

Java One 2016 SF

Some ideas and resources after Java One 2016 SF

Ideas

ORACLE like everybody in the market is doing cloud, micro services, reactive and ... ‘messaging bots’ these days. The last part is not clear for me. Why should Oracle do the 'messaging bots' like FaceBook?

Red Hat presentation where in general based on VertX so I think they want to promote it to the market!

I preferred Java Core presentations instead of Java EE (I’m a Spring fan so I just want to keep an eye on Java EE development).

I was interested in the new release of Java 9 (modularity and other improvements). I was interested in GC, concurrency, memory model for Java 8.

Three types of presentations
  • Singleton -> Venkart - it was always full with queues at conference rooms entrances
  • Pool of objects -> Core Oracle teams
    • very young presenters accompanied by elder ones
      • Java 9 is on good hands
      • the Java will have a good feature nX10 years from now
  • Prototypes -> sole wolfs presenting various technologies
Bad things
  • the conference web app was hard to be used - (we saw a PHP exception)
  • mobile app was not working at all (both Android and iOs)
  • to many session available in parralel in the middle of the day; to few in the morning
  • Java One is shadowed by the Oracle World conference

Links
JavaOne 2016 Youtube Channel (#85 - but where more than that; a big part of them where not been recorded by Oracle): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPIzp-E1msrYicmovyeuOABO4HxVPlhEA 


Some interesting presentations (I didn’t participate but I watched the videos):


USA for me

Good things
  • Uber and Lyft works great
  • Airbnb works great
  • Delta Airlines has in-flight WiFi 
  • big sandy beaches in LA
  • good barista coffee (Big Shoulders - Chicago, Rose Park Roasters - LA Long Beach) - Starbucks was just an emergency solution for us

Bad things

  • Junk food everywhere
  • Drugs smells in downtown SF (I hope in Stanford campus is not the same smell)
  • homeless people in SF even near Moscone Center
  • phone SIM cards are very expensive comparing to Europe

The last conference for me was SpringOne 2GX 2015 (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgGXSWYM2FpPuIFvbv6U_5cKLJB6PQbN4)